Hello Beauties! It’s been a whirlwind couple of months, I just got married beginning of this year, and my other siblings also got married (all within 6 months)! It’s been crazy, to say the least. Today, I have a very special post regarding how important taking care of your skin is as a bride-to-be (and in general). As I was preparing for my own wedding I realized how important the health of your skin was – so I wanted to share some of my takeaways. Remember, the makeup will only look as good as the skin it is applied over.
The importance of skincare seems to always get the back seat. The health and maintenance of your skin is crucial. It is beneficial for you to find a skincare routine that works for you and your skin, because no two individuals are the same or will have the same skincare routine. Just as you would remember to eat everyday, you should take care of your skin as your top priority.
I wanted to share some tips that you can incorporate in your daily skincare routine or start to include as you prepare for your big day.
- Cut Down on Heavy Make Up: A couple months before your big day (and everyday), you want to limit the amount of makeup you put on. Stick to BB Creams for everyday and save the heavy foundations for a special night out or occassion This will decrease the chances of clogged pores and breakouts.
- Take It Off: As soon as you get home from work, wash your face and ensure that ALL the makeup is taken off. Use a gentle makeup remover (or Micellar Water), cleanser, and remember to tone your skin (my favorite toner). Let your skin breathe and have a break from makeup.
- Steam & Relax: Bring a small pot of water to a boil and steam your face for at least 10 minutes, 1-2x a week. The key is to remember to remove all your makeup. This will help open up clogged pores and help you relax. The benefit of steaming your face is it keeps it looking fresh, healthy and prevents fine lines and wrinkes. YAY! You can also add a drop of Lavender Essential Oil to help you relax if you are having a stressful day.
- Use SPF: ALWAYS use SPF, even if the sun looks like it will not make an appearance. This is so important and often overlooked. There are many BB creams and tinted moisturizers that include sunscreen and can provide some good coverage as well as protect your skin from harmful UV exposure.
- Exfoliate: One of the most important steps in your skincare routine is to exfoliate at least 2x a week. Find a gentle exfoliant so it does not cause irritation. It is important to remove the dead and dry skin cells that are on the surface of your skin. Be careful to not over exfoliate – it may lead to sensitive and dry skin.
Remember to find a routine that works best for you and know that you will have to alter your routine based on the seasons. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water!
Share some of your favorite skincare products in the comments!