One of the major questions people always seem to ask is, whether it is important to clean your makeup brushes regularly. A quick answer to that is, YES YES YES! I know it can be a daunting task to sit there and clean ALL of your daily makeup tools. However, just as we should take care of our skin we should take care of our brushes as well. Today, I want to share the importance of keeping your brushes clean that does not only benefit you, but also the longevity of your everyday tools. I also want to give some of my tips and tricks on how to clean your makeup tools – including your sponges (or Beauty blenders)! Because this post is so important, and I want to make sure I share enough detail with you all, this post may be longer than usual! So, let’s get started, shall we?
First, I want to start off by sharing with you some reasons why you should clean your makeup tools on a regular basis:
- Dirty brushes can cause acne – brushes collect oil, dust, and dead skin cells that accumulate over time. If you have not washed your brushes in a while, and are noticing a lot more breakouts, try washing your brushes and you will notice clearer and healthier skin.
- Your pores can become clogged, and your skin may become oily – all things that we want to stay away from! Treat your skin with some TLC and keep your face and brushes clean and ready to go for any look!
- Applying shadow or foundation may become harder – from the most natural daytime look to the dramatic nighttime look, you need to be sure that your eyeshadow brushes are clean to ensure that whatever eyeshadow you are using is the ACTUAL color that will be applied. Shadows and pigments can stay on your brushes – so it’s important to keep those clean. If you are like me, I use a damp beauty blender to apply my foundation. I noticed that when I do not regularly clean my beauty blender, it is harder to apply that flawless face that I strive to achieve.
Quick tip: You want to ensure there are no harsh lines on your face or eye makeup, so blending everything out completely is KEY!
- No maintenance of brushes ruins your investment – we all know how pricey it is to get a hold of brushes that are good quality. It is important to clean brushes regularly because it prolongs their life and usability. Taking good care of your brushes will allow your brushes to last you a great deal of time.
And most importantly:
- Do NOT share your brushes with anyone else – it is so important to be sure to always use your own brushes to apply your makeup. You do not want face oils, and bacteria with other people.
Now, let’s move on to some quick tips on how you can effectively clean your makeup brushes and sponges. All you need is some baby shampoo (or gentle soap), your makeup tools, a sink, and a clean soft cloth or paper towel:
- First, run all of your brushes under warm (not HOT) water.
Quick Tip: To ensure you are not ruining your entire brush – hold the brush downward and avoid the handle getting wet. This can cause the glue to become weaker, and can actually ruin your brush!
- Next, take about a nickel-sized amount of baby shampoo in the palm of your hand and swirl the brush bristles into the solution.
- Now, once you see that you have worked out all your makeup residue, rinse your brush under the warm water again. Be sure to squeeze out the excess water gently – by placing the brush in between your thumb and index finger.
Quick Tip: You want to make sure that all of the soap, dirt, oils, and makeup residue is removed, so be sure that the water is clear (no soap bubbles)!
- Once that is done, you can use your soft cloth or paper towel to dry off the bristles (reshape them gently), and allow them to dry completely on a clean cloth (overnight preferably).
For your makeup sponges (or Beautyblender):
- Run the beauty blender under the warm water to wet the entire sponge.
- Next, you can use baby shampoo (or my favorite Beautyblender Solid Blendercleanser) and start to swirl the wet sponge in the solution.
- Squeeze out excess water and allow for all the foundation to be removed from the sponge.
- Repeat about 2x to ensure that your Beautyblender or sponge is cleaned completely.
- Finally, place Beautyblender on clean cloth and allow it to dry.
Cleaning your brushes and sponges regularly can not only extend the longevity of your makeup tools, but it also can help your skin overall. Be sure to be gentle, because you do not want to break any of your bristles and cause damage to your tools. With all the expensive brush cleaners out there, this simple home remedy is easy and affordable for everyone. Keep it simple, and clean!
Stay glam, stay beautiful!